My pipes are frozen, what do I do?
If the cold weather during winter causes your pipes to freeze, you must check that you can turn off the mains stopcock to prevent leaks when the pipes thaw out.
- Allow warm air to circulate around the water tank and frozen pipes, but do not use an electrical appliance to do this
- Turn off the mains stopcock when you're not using the drinking water supply
- Don't use the central heating, use only the gas fire
- If you have an electric immersion heater, switch it off
- Don't use hot water taps until the water system has completely thawed
- Make sure the pipes, tanks and overflows are thawed out before trying to clear any air locks in the water system.
Keywords - emergency, emergency repair, gas, Heating, mains water, pipe, stopcock, Water pipe, winter
Search for help
If you haven't found the help you need, contact us