My pipes are frozen, what do I do?
If the cold weather causes your pipes to freeze, you must check that you can turn off the mains stopcock to prevent leaks when the pipes thaw out.
- Allow warm air to circulate around the water tank and frozen pipes, but do not use an electrical appliance to do this.
- Turn off the mains stopcock when you're not using the drinking water supply.
- Don't use the central heating, use only the gas fire.
- If you have an electric immersion heater, switch it off.
- Don't use hot water taps until the water system has completely thawed.
- Make sure the pipes, tanks and overflows are thawed out before trying to clear any air locks in the water system.