My pipes are frozen, what do I do?
If the cold weather during winter causes your pipes to freeze, you must check that you can turn off the mains stopcock to prevent leaks when the pipes thaw out.
- Allow warm air to circulate around the water tank and frozen pipes, but do not use an electrical appliance to do this.
- Turn off the mains stopcock when you're not using the drinking water supply.
- Don't use the central heating, use only the gas fire.
- If you have an electric immersion heater, switch it off.
- Don't use hot water taps until the water system has completely thawed.
- Make sure the pipes, tanks and overflows are thawed out before trying to clear any air locks in the water system.
Search for help
If you haven't found the help you need, contact us