Contact us
Jump to content

You are here:

I'm a homeowner and I live in a maisonette or flat, what are my repair responsibilities

Our responsibilities

If you live in a maisonette or flat, we'll usually be responsible for carrying out repairs to shared parts of the surrounding estate, such as:

  • garden walls and fences
  • roadways, paths and steps
  • outside lighting
  • parking spaces, except where they have been sold

We're also usually responsible for repairs to the structure and services of the block of flats, such as:

  • the roof
  • the foundations and outside walls
  • shared parts of the building, including staircases, passages and landings and any equipment or fixtures and fittings
  • air vents and extractor fans that serve shared areas
  • decorations and paintwork in shared areas
  • estate or block drains and sewers
  • removing waste water and sewage
  • pipes, wiring and cables and conduits supplying water, electricity and gas to the shared areas
  • shared water tanks and cisterns
  • rainwater pipes
  • guttering serving a block
  • refuse chutes
  • lifts
  • heating systems serving shared areas.

We'll also usually carry out repairs to shared facilities, such as:

  • shared TV aerials
  • door entry systems
  • fire systems
  • warden alarm systems

Depending on the terms of your lease, the cost of all these repairs is covered by your service charge. You'll need to check the terms of your lease to find out your exact responsibilities for entrance doors and windows.

If you're not sure whether the repair is your responsibility or ours, please contact us.

Your responsibilities

If you live in a maisonette or flat, you'll be responsible for repairs to the property, such as:

  • pipes that serve your flat only
  • inside walls, floors and ceilings
  • inside doors, their frames and hinges
  • skirting boards
  • window catches, sash cords and locks
  • glass in windows, inside or outside
  • plasterwork
  • inside decorations
  • air vents and extractor fans that serve just your property

You'll also be responsible for the services, fixtures and fittings to your property, such as:

  • Central heating system (including maintaining and servicing your boiler other than those that are part of a block-wide system)
  • Water tanks and cisterns that are inside your home
  • Pipes and wiring cables and conduits supplying
  • Water, electricity and gas to your home (even when they go through shared areas)
  • Kitchen units
  • Sinks, baths, toilets and showers
  • Gas fires and fireplaces
  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Fuses, tap washers, light bulbs and the elements in electric fires.

If we carry out repairs that are your responsibility (which we would only do in certain special circumstances), we'll charge you our costs for doing this. We'll also charge you our administration fee for arranging this work on your behalf.


My Estate

Information and documents about your estate

Search for help

If you haven't found the help you need, contact us
Our brands
A2Dominion Group A2Dominion FABRICA Pyramid Plus
Follow us