Contact us
Jump to content

You are here:

Carbon monoxide and your home

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas which can kill without warning as it is colourless and odourless. The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to flu and include headache, tiredness, shortness of breath, feeling sick and dizziness.

What to look out for

Check if your appliance has yellow or orange flames, soot or stains around it or if the pilot light frequently goes out. If you notice any of these things, or there is increased condensation inside your windows, your appliance may be faulty.

If you suspect a leak

  • Switch off the appliance and turn off the mains gas supply
  • Open all doors and windows
  • Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Preventing carbon monoxide

There are several simple steps you can take to protect yourself from carbon monoxide:

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector or alarm. These are available from DIY stores and are easy to install
  • Have your gas appliances checked once a year by a Gas Safe registered contractor
  • Keep air vents, outside grilles and air bricks free from obstructions
  • Don't use appliances if you think they are not working properly
  • Don't use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside your home
  • Don't leave a car running in a garage, even with the garage door open
  • Don't use fuel-burning appliances in any room with closed windows or doors, or in any room where people are sleeping.

My Estate

Information and documents about your estate

Search for help

If you haven't found the help you need, contact us
Our brands
A2Dominion Group A2Dominion FABRICA Pyramid Plus
Follow us