A2Dominion eco-town wins Best Low/Zero Carbon category at Housebuilder Awards 2016
A2Dominion’s Elmsbrook eco scheme has won the Best Low or Zero Carbon Initiative Award category at the Housebuilder Awards 2016.
Elmsbrook at North West Bicester is a new build and is the first true zero carbon development of its size in the UK. Comprised of 393 properties and a local centre, Elmsbrook is the initial phase of the UK’s first eco-town of 6,000 new homes, led by residential property group A2Dominion.
Designed for sustainable living and to minimise the need for energy consumption, Elmsbrook features:
- A combined heat and power plant, which supplies heat and hot water to all homes through a district heating system, with excess electricity exported to the grid
- Each home has solar panels which generates capacity capable of powering 528 homes
- Rainwater-harvesting to capture and store rainwater to reduce water consumption
- Super high insulation levels, triple glazing, and appliances to reduce energy and water consumption
- Properties have energy-efficient ventilation to capture and re-use escaping heat.
- A digital information system in every home displaying real time energy generation and consumption along with live bus timetable and electric car club availability to encourage sustainable travel
- All homes ready wired to have electrical car charging points fitted (free of charge by A2Dominion if residents switch to electric in the first two years)
Darrell Mercer, Chief Executive of A2Dominion, said:
“The Elmsbrook at North West Bicester scheme reflects our commitment to creating sustainable living and we are very proud to have won this award in recognition of that aspiration. We are also delivering thousands more sustainable homes across London and the South East.”
Organised annually by Housebuilder magazine, the awards both recognise and reward excellence in the housebuilding sector. This this ceremony was held on 3 November 2016 at the InterContinental London - The O2.
This latest commendation adds to A2Dominion’s award wins in 2016, which includes winning Outstanding Landlord of the Year (UK Housing Awards), silver for the Best Apartment (The London Evening Standard New Homes Awards), silver for Landlord of the Year (RESI Awards) and Best Apartment Building (The Sunday Times British Home Awards 2016).
A2Dominion completed 1,127 new homes last year and now manages more than 36,000 homes in London and the South East and plans to develop a further 4,500 by 2020.
Press office contact
Tel: 0208 825 1230
Notes to the Editors
A2Dominion is a residential property group with 36,000 homes across London and the south east, and thousands more in the development pipeline.
The Group provides affordable, private and social rented homes, student, key worker and temporary accommodation, as well as supported and sheltered housing.
It also offers high-quality sustainable homes for sale and shared ownership, available through its FABRICA by A2Dominion brand.
The Group has a unique approach to housebuilding, generating profits for a social purpose instead of for shareholders, with millions of pounds reinvested each year into building much-needed affordable homes and supporting local communities.
A2Dominion is part of the g15, a group of the largest housing providers in London.