Elmsbrook, NW Bicester wins top Sustainability Award
A2Dominion scheme Elmsbrook at North West Bicester was winner of the Sustainability category at the Constructing Excellence Awards 2016.
The Constructing Excellence Awards focuses attention on some of the most important issues for the sector and recognise the very best companies, collaborations and projects – sharing best practice and inspiring others to adopt new and better ways of working that deliver outstanding results.
Elmsbrook, the first phase of North West Bicester, provides 393 highly energy efficient homes and a local centre, creating the UK’s first true zero carbon community. Its commercial approach to sustainability provides for 30% affordable housing.
North West Bicester is a pioneering and sustainable new community – its masterplan will deliver up to 6,000 new homes and jobs to Bicester. As the UK’s first Eco Town, its core aim is to make it easy, attractive and affordable for people to live healthy, sustainable lifestyles without compromising the needs of future generations.
On awarding A2Dominion the prize, the judges said:
“It was the focus on a sustainable society that people want to buy into which resonated with the judges. There is a real focus on activities that will build a strong community – a thriving local economy underpinned by jobs for residents and business start-ups. [This is] clearly a successful business model as homes are selling fast.”
“The use of technology, especially the ‘Shimmy’, is commendable in the way the scheme achieves low carbon, resource efficiency, sustainable transport options and engages residents in their use. The Shimmy is a personalised, interactive information platform that helps residents, businesses and services that support sustainable operations on the site to minimise the performance gap.”
The sustainability features for Elmsbrook that the judges refer to include:
- A combined heat and power (CHP) plant, which supplies heat and hot water to all homes through a district heating system, with excess electricity exported to the grid.
- Each home and business will have solar photovoltaic panels averaging 34m2 per property generating capacity capable of powering 528 homes.
- Rainwater-harvesting to capture and store rainwater to reduce water consumption.
- Super high insulation levels to achieve a fabric first approach.
- High rated A++ appliances to reduce energy and water consumption.
- Rented properties have energy-efficient ventilation to capture and re-use escaping heat.
- Water consumption is significantly reduced from 150 litres (average) to 80 litres per person per day.
- Designed to stay cool during summer and warm in winter, the homes are future-proofed to cope with an average two-degree rise in temperature and a peak ten degree temperature change predicted by 2050.
- A2Dominion is leading the way and aims to close the gap by re-thinking design, build and procurement processes. Together with a research team from Loughborough University and Bioregional they are creating a Bicester Eco Town Process Improvement Toolkit (BEPIT) – a toolkit for the mass.
Steve Hornblow, Project Director, A2Dominion said: “We are absolutely delighted to have won the Sustainability Award this year. The category required entrants to demonstrate that they are environmentally, socially and economically sustainable and we have worked hard to shape a unique and innovative scheme that achieves all of these things.
“As well as building highly energy efficient future proofed homes we have planned for 40% green space within the development, as well as amenities to create a vibrant community, while implementing sustainable travel solutions and supporting active healthy lifestyles. We are very proud that our hard work has paid off and our looking forward to seeing our community flourish now that the first residents have moved in.”
Tina McGeachan, Head of Market Development at Constructing Excellence Awards said: “We are really pleased to announce A2Dominion as the winner of the Sustainability award. Competition has been fierce and our team has been more than challenged this year to select our 2016 Winners. Congratulations to A2Dominion on a well-deserved award.”
In 2015 /16 A2Dominion built 1,127 homes, including 330 private sale, 268 private rent and 529 affordable homes, and acquired new sites with the potential to deliver 983 new homes.
Over the next four years the Group aims to build 4,500 homes to meet a range of housing needs reflecting both people’s incomes and lifestyles.
Press office contact
Press and External Communications Lead
Tel: 0208 825 1139 / 07342 072306
Notes to Editors
A2Dominion is a residential property group with 35,000 homes across London and the South East, and thousands more in the development pipeline.
The Group offers high-quality sustainable homes for sale and shared ownership, available through its FABRICA by A2Dominion brand.
It also provides affordable, private and social rented homes, student, key worker and temporary accommodation, as well as supported and sheltered housing.
The Group has a unique approach to housebuilding, generating profits for a social purpose instead of for shareholders, with millions of pounds reinvested each year into building much-needed affordable homes and supporting local communities.
A2Dominion is part of the g15, a group of the largest housing providers in London.