Green light for improved transport route at NW Bicester
NW Bicester lead developer A2Dominion has been granted detailed planning permission for a new link road, an essential piece of infrastructure for the eco-town masterplan and existing transport network.
The new A4095 Strategic Link Road will ensure that NW Bicester has a strong connection with the town and also deliver a number of benefits to local transport with the creation of a new and direct tunnel underneath the existing railway bridge.
A2Dominion received outline planning permission for 2,600 new homes to the North of Lords Lane in March 2015 and a further 900 new homes and supporting infrastructure to the North of Howes Lane in October last year. In April 2014, construction of the first 91 homes began that form part of the Elmsbrook phase, which is providing 393 true zero carbon homes.
Benefits of the new link road include:
- increased capacity and improved efficiency of the road
- a high quality 26m-wide urban boulevard providing an effective, safe and sustainable transport network for pedestrians and cyclists
- strong connectivity with the existing town, giving residents easy and safe access to the new facilities.
Commenting on the decision, Steve Hornblow, NW Bicester Project Director at A2Dominion said: “This is an integral part of the overall development at NW Bicester, the country’s largest true zero carbon housing scheme, and we are very pleased with the decision.
"We are continuing to work closely with key stakeholders such as Network Rail and the Homes and Communities Agency and are committed to funding and delivering this essential piece of Bicester’s infrastructure as lead developers of the NW Bicester eco town."
The Strategic Road link is designed to accommodate the expected volumes of traffic associated with the growth of the wider town, while the network of walking and cycling routes encourages alternative travel options.
The tree lined urban boulevard will offer a range of uses and facilities including education, leisure and retail – creating a brand new destination for Bicester while remaining an integral part of the existing Town’s road infrastructure.
The decision marks the progression of the NW Bicester Masterplan which in total will encompass up to 6,000 highly energy efficient new homes and forms part of Cherwell District Council’s Local Plan adopted in July last year.
The Masterplan includes provision for 40% green space incorporating a nature reserve, Country Park, burial ground, four primary schools and a secondary school, business and commercial space as well as a range of community and recreational facilities.
The approved planning application also includes:
- Creation of increased junction capacity with a new railway underpass and improved junctions
- A better aligned route
- Segregated provision for cyclists and pedestrians
For more information on NW Bicester visit the website.
Notes to Editors
• NW Bicester is leading investment in the future by delivering the UK’s first eco-town. NW Bicester is a partnership between A2Dominion Group (one of the country’s leading providers of high quality housing for sale, shared ownership and rent) and Cherwell District Council (the local authority).
• A2Dominion is one of the country’s leading providers of high quality housing with over 35,000 homes across London and southern England and thousands more in development. Originally established over 60 years ago, it has received numerous awards and accreditations, including ‘Investor in People Gold’ and ‘Positive about Disabled People’ status.
For more information please contact:
Tel: 01962 893914
Tel: 01962 893853