Elmsbrook local centre gets the green light
Following a planning meeting held last night at Cherwell District Council, NW Bicester lead developer A2Dominion has received planning permission for a local centre at Elmsbrook.
The detailed planning application for the centre, which comprises a convenience store, other retail units, a pub/cafe, community hall and nursery, was submitted by A2Dominion in the spring this year.
The local centre will become the ‘hub’ of the new community providing access to facilities and creating important social and meeting space.
A2Dominion is currently in discussions with a number of providers to take on the commercial and retail units, which will all be built to the same true zero carbon and BREEAM excellent standards as the homes at Elmsbrook.
The local centre will also comprise of an eco-business centre, led separately by Cherwell District Council, which will offer business start-up units as well as support facilities for home workers.
Other features of the detailed planning permission include a bus stop, vehicle and bicycle parking and electric vehicle charging points.
The area has been designed to be accessible to all, while encouraging sustainable travel to and from the site.
The local centre forms part of the initial Elmsbrook phase currently under construction to provide 393 true zero carbon homes. Residents are expected to occupy the first homes early next year.
Steve Hornblow, NW Bicester Project Director at A2Dominion said: “We look forward to delivering the commercial aspect of the site and working with providers to grow this very important provision for the new community and surrounding areas.
"The local centre will be key to making Elmsbrook a vibrant, attractive and thriving place to live and work and generate a number of local employment opportunities.”
The centre will be situated on the Elmsbrook development close to Gagle Brook Primary School, led by The White Horse Federation. Oxfordshire County Council began pre-construction works for the school in early November 2015 with the main building works due to start in the coming weeks.
The approved application includes the provision of:
- 869m2 of floor space to be used a nursery
- 503m2 floor space to be used as a convenience store
- 523m2 floor space to be used as a community hall
- 444m2 floor space for five retail units
- 664m2 floor space for floor space to be used as a pub and associated restaurant
- 614m2 floor space to be used as commercial premises
- 34 public car parking places and 23 staff car parking spaces
- 46 covered staff cycle parking spaces.
Notes to Editors
• NW Bicester is leading investment in the future by delivering the UK’s first eco-town. NW Bicester is a partnership between A2Dominion Group (one of the country’s leading providers of high quality housing for sale, shared ownership and rent) and Cherwell District Council (the local authority).
• A2Dominion is one of the country’s leading providers of high quality housing with over 35,000 homes across London and southern England and thousands more in development. Originally established over 60 years ago, it has received numerous awards and accreditations, including ‘Investor in People Gold’ and ‘Positive about Disabled People’ status.
For more information please contact:
Tel: 01962 893914
Tel: 01962 893853